Mercury is an element that can be harmful to human health and the environment if not disposed of properly. Mercury won't harm you or the environment as long as it stays inside the product and is handled properly when you are finished with it.
Mercury can be found in a variety of household products like thermometers, thermostats, button-cell batteries and fluorescent lamps.
Please handle products containing mercury very carefully and properly:
1. Never throw glass thermometers, old thermostats, button-cell batteries or fluorescent lamps in the trash.
2. Store mercury-containing products in a safe place, such as an unbreakable plastic container, away from children and pets.
3. Please bring products containing mercury [i.e. thermometers, thermostats, compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs)], to a Hazardous Waste Collection Day (Click Here for a listing - Salem or Beverly only) OR:
- Fluorescent tubes: Lowe's in Danvers (978-646-9099), Batteries + Bulbs in Saugus (781-233-7587). ** NOTE: there is a charge to dispose of these items at Batteries Plus Bulbs, $0.75 / CFL bulb and $0.25 / linear foot of fluorescent tube (so $1.00 per 4ft tube and $2.00 per 8ft tube)
- Thermostats and thermometers: Bell Simons/Bell Pump in Beverly (978-922-1920)
- Button Batteries: Staples, Home Depot, Batteries + Bulbs, Bell Simons/Bell Pump, Salem Plumbing, Lowes