Rodent Control & Public Education


Rats have always been present in cities and are a fact of urban life. However, they are present because of human activities, and thus it is possible to reduce their numbers by working together as a community to modify our habits. Mayor Cahill’s Office, the Health Department, and other City Departments are working together with residents, business owners, and community groups to promote a better understanding of rat behavior and how to minimize their presence.


As part of our commitment to mitigating rodent activity, the City of Beverly is launching a pilot program with Modern Pest Services to bring the latest rodent-control technology to our city and evaluate its effectiveness. From January through June 2023 we will install and service 28 SMART Boxes in different areas of Beverly. SMART Box placement areas have been determined by data collected through Beverly’s 311 Service Request system (also known as QAlert and Report an Issue) and site visits conducted with Modern Pest.


I have seen rodents in my home or in my yard. Who should I call? 

If you notice any evidence of rodent activity on your property, contact a professional exterminator to properly eradicate the issue. Exterminators can be found in the local phone book or online. Ask to see proof of Massachusetts state licensure for pest control before you sign a service contract.

Who do I contact if I have concerns about rodents or health issues on private property?

Inspectional Services is responsible for enforcement of the State Sanitary Code, which covers sanitation violations on private property. Inspectional Services health inspectors respond to housing and sanitation complaints, and also regularly inspect and issue violations for yard overgrowth, debris and other property conditions that can lead to rodent habitat. Please note that private property owners are responsible for keeping their properties and buildings/rental units safe and healthy as specified by local and state codes.

Who should I contact if I see rodents on public property?

Inspectional Services conducts inspections when rodents are reported seen on public streets, sidewalks, parks, plazas, and other public spaces. Inspectional Services health inspectors regularly inspect and issue violations for trash and recycling improperly set out on the sidewalk, which can be a source of food for rodents.

What will happen after I report a rodent control issue to the City?

Every rodent complaint is reviewed and inspected by Inspectional Services. If the rodent issue is on public land (including city streets), the City has a contract with a professional exterminator and will bait the area as deemed necessary by the City. If the complaint is on private property, Inspectional Services will enforce the State Sanitary Code and local ordinances when applicable, up to and including requiring private landowners to bait their property as deemed necessary for public health.

  • Report a rodent or health concern to the City by using the MyBeverly 311 Service Request system:
  • Online at - under the photo banner, click on the “Report An Issue” button 
  • Using the MyBeverly app - available for Android and Apple users
  • Call the Health Department (978-921-8591) or the Constituent Services Office (978-605-2382)

If you can give specific information as to where you suspect rodents are feeding or burrowing, that is extremely helpful.

Use the "Report an Issue" button below and select "Rodents" to report rat sightings.


Please contact:

  • City of Beverly Health Department at (978) 921-8591
  • Constituent Services at (978) 605-2382
  • The Executive Office, Chief of Staff at (978) 605-2334