COVID Treatment Medication
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is offering free telehealth for COVID-19 treatment with Paxlovid
Telehealth is a quick and easy way to see if Paxlovid, a COVID-19 treatment pill taken by mouth, is right for you. If it is, this service will arrange for pickup at your local pharmacy or free overnight delivery (if the prescription is written before 5 p.m. Monday - Friday). This is a new service provided by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
When should I take Paxlovid?
- You must test positive for COVID-19 and have symptoms.
- Treatment must begin as soon as possible after testing positive and within 5 days of symptom onset.
- You also have certain medical conditions that put you at higher risk for severe disease (including being a current or former smoker, cancer, diabetes, obesity, or others) or are over age 65.
Who can use this telehealth service?
Telehealth is available for individuals 18 and older who are positive for COVID-19, experiencing symptoms, and currently living in Massachusetts. This service is not for medical emergencies or for individuals who are pregnant. If you are experiencing a medical emergency like having trouble breathing, please call 9-1-1.
Not everyone should take these pills
People with the following are not eligible for Paxlovid:
- No symptoms
- No risk factors
- Have had COVID-19 symptoms for more than 5 days
What do I need for the telehealth visit?
- A photo or PDF of your positive test result
- A list of medications and vitamins you’re taking
- If you have kidney disease, a copy of your lab results from the last 3 months. The dose of Paxlovid may need to be adjusted.
- During the video consult, your clinician will also check your ID. This will be for confidential health purposes only and will not be shared. There are a range of acceptable forms of ID including: Mass ID, driver’s license, work badge or permit, student ID, or community ID
Is this service free?
Yes, the telehealth service and optional overnight delivery is free, no matter your insurance status.