Applications & Procedures
Site Plan Review Application
Wait! This Site Plan Review Application is not for signs. See below for the Sign Application and instructions.
If you have a business in Beverly, you may want a sign. In Beverly, signs that are visible from a public way require a sign permit. Please review the Sign Application (PDF) and the following documents for information on the process of getting a commercial sign in Beverly:
- Sign Permit Application Process (PDF) - All signs, unless explicitly stated in the Sign Ordinance, must be reviewed by the Design Review Board (DRB). This is the first document you should review to understand the approval process for signs.
- Beverly Sign Ordinance (PDF) - In Beverly, the Sign Ordinance regulates the City's signage, and establishes where signs can be placed and how large they are. Signs that comply with the Ordinance need approval from the DRB and a sign permit from the Building Department. Signs that are not explicitly allowed by the Sign Ordinance require a Special Permit from the Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Examples of Sign Applications - To assist business owners in developing sign applications, the Design Review Board has provided imagery from three separate sign applications that clearly demonstrate how signs will be developed and erected. Please note that these images do not guarantee that the Design Review Board will approve similar signs; the imagery is solely intended to demonstrate applicants may clearly show what signs look like, the dimensions of signs, and how the signs will appear when placed in their permanent locations.
- DRB 2021 Meeting Schedule and Deadlines (PDF) - Please note that applicants must meet the corresponding application deadline for submissions if they want to attend a certain meeting.
- Sign Definitions (PDF) - There are multiple types of signs that a business can install. This document describes different types of signs that are commonly used to advertise businesses.
- List of Sign Makers (PDF) - The City of Beverly does not recommend specific sign makers for projects. However, the provided list includes local sign makers whose signs have been approved by the DRB in the recent past.
Having trouble finding the document you are looking for? Try looking through our archives.