Coordinates the preparation of engineering plans and specifications. Monitors the progress of construction in public ways and documents the improvements on City approved software.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Assists in project management for the construction of municipal Public Services projects. Oversees assigned projects to ensure contractor compliance with time and budget parameters for the project.
- Assists in the preparation of sanitary sewer, water, storm drainage, and street system maps, data bases, and comprehensive plans.
- Responds to public or other inquiries relative to engineering procedures on specific projects and other information.
- Performs daily inspection work including supervision of certain tasks as they relate to the installation of utilities (water, sewer, and drains) and the constructing of roadways for developments being built under Subdivision Control Law as administered by the Planning Department.
- Work also includes plan review, construction estimates, inspection and supervision of testing procedures for workmanship. Maintaining daily flow of progress as well as documentation of information pertinent to controversial matters that become relevant to possible court cases.
- Review subdivision plans with the City Engineer to assure City standards are met.
- Review and correct Contractor Performance Bonds and give recommendations to the City Engineer.
- Witness testing of pipelines and appurtenances to ensure the integrity of the installation and workmanship.
- Review developers’ bond reduction requests and through the City Engineer, give the Planning Board approval or denial recommendations.
- Aid in the continual update the GIS database as City projects progress.
- Aid in the preparation of reports, surveys, plans and specifications utilizing industry tools and software including Access and Excel, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Total Station and GNSS instrumentation
- Other duties include, filing, counter service, printing, issue Compost Passes, issue Permits (numerous types), answer telephone calls.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing with employees, consultants, contractors and other governmental agency representatives, as well as, City officials and the general public.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering required, EIT preferred
- Ability to conduct necessary engineering research and compile comprehensive reports.
- Must possess a valid Mass Driver’s License.
- Must be physically capable of moving about construction work sites and under adverse field conditions. Must be able to move manhole covers for inspection.
- Must have at least 3 years’ experience in the field of civil engineering and some experience or familiarity with land surveying principles and practice.
- Must have extensive computer experience including AutoCAD and database programs. GIS experience preferred. Many computer programs are used daily to perform various tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance or stoop.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.