Operates wide variety of special heavy construction equipment and performs a variety of manual tasks in connection with such operations; operates light-medium and heavy automotive equipment as directed; performs related work as required.
Works under the direct supervision of a Working Foreman or other employee of a higher grade who assigns duties and inspects work for conformance with instructions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Drives a variety of heavy trucks, tractors and trailers and special heavy equipment.
- Assists in the construction, repair and maintenance of highways, sewers and other City property by operating power equipment in the performance of such functions as excavating, grading, rolling, plowing, sanding, sweeping roads and pumping water, dirt and grease from sewers and basins.
- Operates other heavy equipment as directed, such as compressors, pneumatic air hammers, pipe threading and cutting machines, drill presses and welding equipment.
- Maintains equipment by greasing, cleaning and performing all necessary repairs.
- Performs various manual tasks as required in the construction, repair, maintenance and installation activities of the department.
- Performs as a Motor Equipment Operator and Heavy Motor Equipment Operator on occasion as directed.
- Good skills in the operation of heavy motor equipment under all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Good knowledge of traffic and safety rules and accident prevention practices.
- Ability to make minor repairs and adjust heavy equipment.
- Considerable experience in the operation of heavy automotive equipment and completion of a standard grade school course; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Experience in general road, water and sewer construction
- Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
- Possession of a hoisting machinery license issued by the State of Massachusetts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical effort generally required. Ability to lift or move items weighing more than 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb and talk or hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, and stoop.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to high.