Operates, checks and maintains a variety of electric water and sewer pumps and auxiliary equipment; performs related work as required.
Works under the supervision of working foreman, Foreman and Director of Public Services who assign and review work through inspection.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Starts motors, pumps and auxiliary equipment.
- Checks and operates pumps to insure continued proper performance.
- Checks meters and gauges and a variety of mechanical and electrical pumping apparatus parts to insure proper performance including voltage, amperage, temperatures, output and consumption; makes necessary regulations to maintain proper functioning to meet demands.
- Changes charts on recording instruments; records operation data periodically.
- Locates defective parts or components; makes necessary repairs, dismantling, assembling and replacing parts.
- Maintains cleanliness of buildings and equipment.
- Performs varied manual tasks as necessary.
- Keeps the grounds cleaned, cuts grass etc.
- Good knowledge of the operation and maintenance of sewage or electric water pumping stations.
- Ability to make simple mechanical repairs.
- Ability to pass a red and green color blindness test.
- Ability to keep simple records.
- Good judgment.
- Some experience in the operation and maintenance of sewage or electric water pumping stations and completion of a standard high school course; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
- Wastewater Collection Operator’s License desired.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical effort generally required. Ability to lift or move items weighing more than 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb and talk or hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, and stoop.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to high.