Performs skilled plumbing, gas fitting and HVAC repairs and installations.
Works under the direct supervision of Highway and Building Maintenance Foreman and works with and through the Director of the Public Schools Division or other employee of a higher grade who assigns duties and inspects work for conformance with instructions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Installs and repairs new and existing plumbing and HVAC systems, fixtures and other appliances in accordance with regulations and instructions.
- Notify appropriate people, agencies of improper or unsafe situations.
- Make recommendations for improvements and enhancements to existing systems to Division Foreman and Commissioner of Public Services.
- Troubleshoot circuits, motors, generators switches and electrical equipment.
- Works with other staff including pump station operators maintaining equipment including pump stations.
- Prepare and present reports as necessary (condition, performance, inventory etc.).
- Work closely with employees of all divisions and coordinator materials and labor necessary to carry out duties.
- Aerial work via ladder, bucket truck, staging and other methods.
- Underground work in vaults, manholes, excavation etc.
- Participates in snow removal operations
- Massachusetts Plumber & Gas Fitters, Journeyman at minimum.
- Massachusetts licensed oil burner technician.
- Massachusetts Licensed Pipefitter Journeyman.
- CFC Recovery License.
- Experience related to ensuring the safety of co-workers.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate decision-making ability.
- Knowledge of steam and hydronic heating systems
- Knowledge of commercial plumbing.
- Licensed Sprinkler Journeyman preferred.
- Valid Mass Commercial drivers license Class B with air brake endorsement
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical effort generally required. Ability to lift or move items independently that weigh more than 50 pounds. Ability to perform aerial work and work in confined spaces.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb, talk, push, pull and hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, and stoop.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work environment is typically outdoors in all weather conditions and often at significant height above ground. Occasionally works in contact with sewage. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.