The Part-time Substitute Reference Librarian works under the general supervision of the Head of Reference Services. This part-time position works two weekends per month, and will have some opportunities to work on an on-call basis for day, night, and/or weekend shifts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for working at the Reference Desk to assist patrons in a friendly and professional manner with their information needs. Responds to Reference requests that come in via email, telephone, mail, fax, etc.
- Instructs patrons in the use of the online catalog and other library resources.
- Provides one-on-one instruction and answers questions about electronic devices and digital resources.
- Able to establish and maintain courteous, effective and professional service to patrons of all ages.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other staff members.
- Troubleshoots various equipment, such as computers, printers, fax machines, microform machines, etc. as needed.
Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate school program accredited by the American Library Association (Staff Librarian) OR currently enrolled in a Master’s Degree program in Library or Information Science from a graduate school program accredited by the American Library Association with half or more courses completed, including a course in Reference (Librarian I).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance or stoop.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Interested applicants should submit letter of application and resume to Allison Babin email@example.com, or Allison Babin, 32 Essex Street, Beverly, MA 01915 by February 18, 2019.