The part-time branch librarian works under the general supervision of the Head of Branch Services. This is a part-time position with one morning or afternoon shift and one evening per week year round and every Saturday October through May.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for working as a reference/circulation/children’s librarian at a busy, service-oriented branch library. The work requires the exercise of considerable skill, initiative, and independent judgment.
- Must be able to assist patrons in a friendly and professional manner with their information needs.
- Must be adept at working with children, adults, and young adults.
- Plans, coordinates, and presents services, resources, and programs designed to interest children.
- Must enjoy working with children.
- Conducts programs for all ages in the library and in the community designed to develop among children a love of reading and learning.
- Responsible for opening and closing the branch library building.
- Updates website and social media.
- Instructs patrons in the use of the online catalog and other library resources.
- Troubleshoots various equipment, such as PCs, printers, LCD projector, etc.
- Assists in monitoring the behavior and conduct of patrons in the Library.
- Ensures that supplies are stocked.
Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate school program accredited by the American Library Association (Staff Librarian) OR currently enrolled in a Master’s Degree program in Library or Information Science from a graduate school program accredited by the American Library Association with half or more courses completed, including a course in Reference (Librarian I)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance or stoop.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Interested applicants should submit resumes via email to email@example.com or Martha Morgan, Beverly Public Library – Farms Branch, 24 Vine Street, Beverly, MA 01915 no later than Friday, September 6, 2019.