Minimum professional qualifications: Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from a graduate school program accredited by the American Library Association. Applicants must pass a background check and pre-employment physical and drug screen. All drivers of city vehicles are also subject to periodic random drug testing.
Summary: The Head of the Bookmobile Services works under the general direction of the Director and Assistant Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for professional and supervisory work in planning, implementing, and managing a comprehensive program of service for the Bookmobile. Maintains Plan of Service for Bookmobile. Keeps informed about issues, services, and innovations related to Bookmobile and outreach delivery services. The work requires the exercise of considerable skill, initiative, and independent judgment. The work also requires a valid Commercial Driver’s License or the ability to obtain a valid Commercial Driver’s License within the first 6 months of employment.
- Trains and supervises other department personnel. Reviews work of Bookmobile personnel. Assesses self, staff, departmental effectiveness and services on a regular basis through appropriate means necessary for provision of best service. Motivates and encourages personnel.
- Manages collection development and maintenance for Bookmobile. Keeps track of ongoing expenditures for these collections.
- Reaches out to schools, agencies, daycare centers, senior housing centers, and summer park programs to coordinate visits; determines the needs of the patrons to be visited, i.e., curriculum specific books; assisting patrons with library related questions.
- Plans bookmobile routes and schedule, including seasonal changes and new demands for service.
- Works with the Communications Department staff to publish the Bookmobile schedule and publicize its outreach services.
- Sees that the Bookmobile is kept in good repair and that required service is performed and reports repair needs to the Library Director or Assistant Library Director. Sees to all required safety inspections.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other staff members.
- Works independently and shows initiative in recommending changes in outreach service when needed.
- Must be able to interact with people, especially seniors and young children, in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Works closely with the staff of local schools, senior residences and other City departments, such as the Council on Aging and the Recreation Department.
- Performs reader advisory tasks for bookmobile patrons, including providing curriculum related materials to teachers.
- Works on the Reference Desk and performs the duties of a reference librarian as assigned.
- Attends professional and community meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance or stoop.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must be able to drive a large commercial grade vehicle on a regular basis.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Interested applicants should submit letter of application and resume via email to email@example.com or to Human Resources, City of Beverly, 191 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915 no later than August 4, 2018.