Provide legal counsel to the City of Beverly under the supervision of the City Solicitor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the City in state and federal courts, as well as state agencies (g., Civil Service, DEP, etc.).
- Handle all phases of litigation (g., drafting pleadings, discovery and briefs, and handle depositions and court appearances).
- May require attendance at evening City Council meetings and subcommittee meetings.
- Advise the Mayor, City Council, Department Heads, and the City’s agencies, boards and commissions on matters relating to their official powers, duties and functions.
- Prepare responses to public records requests.
- Draft ordinances and home rule petitions.
- Research legal issues.
- Provide advice on city charter and ordinances, state ethics laws, open meeting laws, public records laws, election laws, as well as other municipal, state and federal laws, rules, policies and regulations.
- Prepare, review, and/or approve all contracts, deeds and legal instruments on behalf of the City.
- Handle collective bargaining and labor matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- JD degree from an accredited law school.
- Member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar.
- Three to ten years of related work experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform essential functions of the job.
- Courtroom (civil or criminal), municipal law, labor law, and/or land use experience preferred, appellate experience a plus.
- Demonstrated outstanding research, writing and speaking skills.
- Demonstrated outstanding litigation skills.
- Ability and willingness to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient typing and computer skills especially with Word, Adobe and Excel
- Skilled in use of Westlaw (or similar legal research database) and Registry of Deeds searches.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance or stoop.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Interested applicants should submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or City of Beverly, Human Resources, 191 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915.