Supervises in the installation, maintenance and repair of water service lines, meters, equipment and other appurtenances of the water supply system; supervises the operation and maintenance of sewer lift stations; performs related work as required. Also acts as the Cross Connection Control Coordinator.
Works under the supervision of the Director of Public Services who assigns work and inspects for proper completion and conformance with established policies and regulations. Exercises working supervision over a number of water service and pumping station personnel engaged in installation, maintenance and repair of water service lines and equipment and all City operated pump stations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Supervises the installation, maintenance and repair of mains, gates, hydrants, service connections including tapping water mains and laying service pipe; connects the shut-off valves and curb boxes; digs and backfills trenches.
- Supervises the installation, removal and minor field repair of consumer meters.
- Assigns work for most effective completion; maintains work schedules and time records for subordinates; lays out work from written orders.
- Prepares estimates of work and cost of materials for new service lines and repairs on existing installations; orders parts and materials needed for job.
- Investigates and attends to complaints regarding faulty service, leaks and other water and sewer lift station system operating difficulties.
- Oversees the entire program of Backflow Prevention for the drinking water supply for the City. This includes coordinating with the Contractor for the surveying and testing of all devices; collection of fees for tests; recording installations; making sure new installations are performed where needed.
- Considerable knowledge of methods, materials and techniques used in the installation, extension and repair of water mains and related equipment
- Extensive knowledge of the water and sewer systems of the City, including location and size of mains, hydrants and valves and pumping stations.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of workers.
- Skill in the use of and ability to instruct others in the use of pipe fitting and plumbing tools required on water mains and related installations.
- Ability to keep extensive records and make reports.
- Extensive experience in the installation, repair and maintenance of water pipe lines, mains and related services, preferably including some supervisory experience and graduation from a standard high school or vocational school; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Possession of a DEP Cross Connection Control Surveyor and Testing license; a Grade 3 or Grade 4 Water Distribution license; a Grade 4 Waste Water Collection license. Equivalent to graduation from a high school or trade school; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical effort generally required.
Ability to lift or move items weighing more than 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb and talk or hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, and stoop.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to high.
Interested candidates should submit applications/resumes to email@example.com or mail to: City of Beverly, Human Resources, 191 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915