POSITION TITLE: Municipal Assistance Coordinator, Northeast 2 (NE2)
The Municipal Assistance Coordinator (Coordinator) for the Northeast 2 District (NE2) provides technical assistance to municipalities to increase recycling, composting, waste reduction, household hazardous waste diversion and regional cooperation. The City of Beverly has been awarded a Host Community grant from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) to fund this position until June 2023.
The Coordinator will act under the supervision of the MassDEP and will serve 39 municipalities in a district known as Northeast 2. The district extends from Amesbury to Winthrop. The Coordinator’s point of contact with municipalities will be a combination of recycling coordinators, public works department staff and/or health department staff. This position will collaborate extensively with seven other MassDEP Municipal Assistance Coordinators, MassDEP Boston recycling staff, and occasionally MassDEP’s Northeast Regional Office solid waste staff.
The Coordinator will assist municipalities in reducing their solid waste tonnage by implementing new, and/or increasing the effectiveness of existing, recycling, composting, waste reduction, household hazardous waste and Pay-As-You-Throw programs. The Coordinator will hold regional meetings for municipal officials, provide relevant updates and information to district communities and regional solid waste districts, create and disseminate a newsletter via Constant Contact, evaluate the effectiveness of municipal waste reduction programs, assist communities with identifying goals to improve recycling programs, coordinate special events as needed, and conduct research on successful waste reduction programs in the district. The Coordinator will also manage more extensive projects with designated municipalities each year, as assigned by MassDEP through the Technical Assistance program and the Recycling IQ Kit program.
The Coordinator will communicate DEP grant opportunities and data reporting requirements relating to the Sustainable Materials Recovery Program, The Recycling IQ Kit, and the Annual Solid Waste and Recycling Survey with member municipalities.
The position normally requires travel (in-state) to visit municipalities and attend meetings (including some evening meetings). The City of Beverly will provide a monthly cell phone allowance, computer, and email address for the Coordinator. A satellite office in a municipal building will be available as needed. Working remotely is likely for the foreseeable future.
- Experience managing projects and/or people; demonstrated understanding of effective project management tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and juggle multiple competing projects.
- Ability to promote or “sell” concepts and/or programs to audiences that have varying degrees of receptivity.
- Ability and comfort with minimal direct supervision; self-directed.
- Ability to share information and work as part of a team (with counterparts around the state).
- Basic understanding of municipal government in Massachusetts.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to communicate and build relationships with diverse audiences (municipal staff, elected officials, recycling committees, regional entities).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Understanding of municipal curbside and drop-off recycling and composting programs.
- Understanding of solid waste and recycling collection contracts.
- Experience with public speaking, preferably including presentations to municipal Boards of Health, Public Works Departments or Boards of Selectmen.
- Experience coordinating and/or implementing environmental initiatives in the community, in an academic setting, or in the workplace.
- Understanding of the Commonwealth’s goals and policy framework on solid waste reduction and management.
- Ability to organize data and manipulate spreadsheets to demonstrate project results
- Facility with virtual meeting platforms and social media
Closing Date: November 30, 2020
Interested applicants should submit resume, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.