Repairs, maintains and overhauls all types of motorized equipment for the City and keeps equipment in running order; performs related work as required by the Commissioner of Public Services and in coordination with the Police and Fire Chiefs (or designees) as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Repairs, maintains and, overhauls all types of motorized equipment with gasoline or diesel motors, ranging from small equipment, such as power lawn mowers and water pumps, to such heavy equipment as road graders, tractor bulldozers, sweepers and power shovels, in addition to all departmental motor vehicles of the City, including but not limited to snowplows and Police and Fire Department vehicles, apparatus and equipment, and with the exception of vehicles controlled by the School Department.
- Overhauls rings, bearings, transmissions, differentials and other equipment; grinds valves; and rebuilds such equipment as starters, generators, and brake and air systems.
- Installs glass in windows, doors and windshields; and performs other related duties as required.
- Drives and tests equipment to check performance of equipment.
- Uses computerized diagnostic tools while performing repairs.
- Provides emergency field assistance to disabled equipment as needed and appropriate.
- Good knowledge of standard practices and equipment of the automotive mechanic trade.
- Good knowledge of the principles of operation of gasoline and diesel engines and of mechanical repair on heavy trucks and construction equipment.
- Good knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to adapt available tools and repair to specific repair problems.
- Skill in the use and care of hand and machine tools employed in motor repair and adjustment work.
- Skill in adjusting defects in automotive equipment; mechanical aptitude.
- Experience in repairing automotive equipment and completion of a standard elementary school course; or any equivalent combination of experience and training, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
- Possession of Mass Hydraulics License.
- Possession of or ability to obtain ASE and EVT certifications desired.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance or stoop.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Interested candidates should submit applications/resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: City of Beverly, Human Resources, 191 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915