Responsible for enforcing the State Building Code (780 CMR), the Architectural Access Board Regulations (521 CMR) and local zoning ordinances.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Inspects buildings in the process of construction, alteration or repair to ensure compliance with building code requirements and for the applications of safe construction practices.
- Reviews plans and specifications for building construction and remodeling work.
- Issues permits for approved applications.
- Makes reports and keep records regarding inspections.
- Review subdivision and individual plans, as required, for compliance with zoning regulations.
- Perform field surveys and assist in interpreting codes and regulations.
- Inspect places of assembly and other designated occupancies for compliance with codes and regulations.
- Investigate building and zoning complaints.
- Assist in the preparation of applications for variances, special permits and division of land.
- Inspect existing buildings for compliance with building code.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the supervision of building construction or design or in the alternative a four-year undergraduate degree in a field related building construction or design.
- High School graduate or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Considerable knowledge of all major types of building construction, materials, methods, and stages of construction where possible violations and defects may be easily observed and corrected.
- Considerable knowledge of the laws and regulations relating to building and zoning.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and blueprints and the ability to compare them with construction in progress.
- Ability to detect poor workmanship, inferior materials and/or potential hazards.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with building owners, contractors, other City employees and the public.
- Must have or be able to obtain certification as a local inspector by the State Board of Building Regulations and Standards within 12 months.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical effort generally required. Ability to lift or move items weighing more than 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, and stoop. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Works under the direct supervision of Building Commissioner or other employee of a higher grade who assigns duties and inspects work for conformance with instructions.
Interested candidates should submit applications/resumes to email@example.com or mail to: City of Beverly, Human Resources, 191 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915