Operates one or more types of automotive equipment in the heavy class and performs a variety of manual tasks in connection with such operations; operates light-medium and /or special automotive equipment as directed; performs related work as required.
Works under the direct supervision of a Working Foreman or other employee of a higher grade who assigns duties and inspects work for conformance with instructions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Drives or operates a variety of heavy trucks, tractors, and/or equipment.
- Assists in the construction, repair, and maintenance of highways, sewers, and other City property by operating power equipment in the performance of such functions as grading, rolling, plowing, sanding, or sweeping roads; installs or repairs water mains and sewers; and pumps water, dirt and grease from sewers and basins.
- Operates other heavy-duty equipment as directed, such as compressors and pneumatic air hammers.
- Maintains equipment by greasing and performing minor repairs.
- Performs various manual tasks as required in the construction, repair, maintenance, and installation activities of the Department..
Experience in the operation of heavy motor equipment under all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Good knowledge of traffic and safety rules and accident prevention practices.
- Ability to make minor repairs and adjustments to heavy equipment.
- Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
- General civil construction experience
- Experience in the operation of heavy automotive equipment and completion of a standard grade school course; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical effort generally required. Ability to lift or move items weighing more than 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb and talk or hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, and stoop.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to high.
Interested candidates should submit applications/resumes to email@example.com or mail to: City of Beverly, Human Resources, 191 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915