Title: Assistant Director, Recreation
Supervisor: Director of Parks, Recreation & Community Services
Civil Service: No
The Assistant Recreation Director represents Beverly Recreation and its interests alongside or in place of the Recreation Director. They coordinate activities and programs of paid and volunteer recreation service personnel for the City of Beverly by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Develops and evaluates recreation programming including: enrichment and cultural programs, athletic programs, social recreation, community-wide events, day trips, arts & crafts, and games. Promotes three seasons of events provided and sponsored by the Recreation Department.
- Develops and obtains information, policies and procedures, and licensure (when necessary) for evening enrichment, summer camps, special events and trips.
- Creates and distributes promotional flyers, brochures, press releases, social media postings, cable notices, radio announcements, etc.
- Interprets recreation services to the public. Participates in community meetings and organizational planning to ensure that the Recreation activities offered are well balanced and coordinate. Works with the Beverly Parks & Recreation Commission and the Friends of Beverly Recreation. Participates in regional recreation organizations (MRPA, NRPA, etc.).
- Hires, manages, and mentors all seasonal staff. Develops, coordinates and supervises staff training for Parks, Camps, Lifeguards, and all seasonal and part-time positions. Runs staff meetings. Introduces new program activities, equipment and materials to the staff.
- Coordinates permits and facilities. Organizes inventory, equipment, supply bids, and orders.
- Must hold a valid Massachusetts driver’s license.
- Must be available to work some nights and weekends.
- Four-year college or university, program certificate, or two to four year’s related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Background in marketing and knowledge of best marketing practices preferred.
- Background in management and knowledge of best management practices preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Must be fluent in Microsoft Office products (esp. Word, Excel, Publisher), G Suite, Constant Contact Email Marketing, and Adobe Creative Cloud (esp. InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop). Web design skills, and the ability to use Adobe Dreamweaver are a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to talk or hear.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Interested candidates should submit applications/resumes to email@example.com or mail to: City of Beverly, Human Resources, 191 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915