FAQ – Licenses

1. Can I do the construction myself or do I have to be licensed?

Go To Top

The State Building Code states that no structural work shall be done without a construction supervisor’s license. A homeowner can do work on his/her own home without a license provided that if the homeowner engages a person for hire to do such work that the homeowner shall act as supervisor.

2. What is a homeowner?

Go To Top

For the purpose of determining when a license is required, a homeowner is defined as a “person(s) who owns a parcel of land on which he/she resides or intends to reside, on which there is, or is intended to be, a dwelling of six or less units, attached or detached structures accessory to such use and/or farm structures. A person who constructs more than one home in a two-year period shall not be considered a homeowner.”

3. Can I do my own electrical and plumbing/gas work?

Go To Top

No. State law requires anyone performing electrical, plumbing or gas work to be licensed.