The Mayor is the Chief Executive Officer of the City and is elected for a two year term at each Biennial Municipal Election. The Mayor's term of office begins on the first Monday in January following the Municipal Election.
The powers and duties of the Mayor are outlined in Article 3 of the City Charter. The Mayor shall:
- See that the charter, the laws, the ordinances and other orders for the government of the City are enforced.
- See that a record is kept of all official acts of the Executive Branch of the City.
- Exercise a general supervision and direction over all City agencies.
- Be the chief procurement officer for the City responsible for buying, purchasing, renting, leasing, or otherwise acquiring all supplies and all services.
- The Mayor may delegate all or any portion of such powers and duties to a subordinate officer.
- Supervise, direct and be responsible for the efficient administration of all City activities and functions.
- Appoint, subject to the review of such appointments by the City Council, all City officers, department heads and the members of multiple-member bodies for whom no other method of appointment or selection is provided by the charter, excepting only persons serving under the School Committee, and persons serving under the City Council.
Every order, ordinance, resolution or vote adopted or passed by the City Council relative to the affairs of the City, except memorial resolutions, the selection of City officers by the City Council and any matters relating to the internal affairs of the City Council, shall be presented to the Mayor for approval.
- The Mayor shall serve as the seventh member of the School Committee.
|Mayors of Beverly|
|John I. Baker||1895*|
|Charles H. Odell||1896*|
|Freeborn W. Cressy||1897*|
|Benjamin D. Webber||1899-1900|
|Joseph A. Wallis||1905-1906|
|S. Harvey Dow||1907-1908|
|Charles H. Trowt||1909-1910|
|Frederick A. Dodge||1911-1912|
|Herman A. Macdonald||1913-1916|
|Frank D. Tuttle||1921-1922|
|George H. Whittemore||1923-1924|
|Roy K. Patch||1929-1930|
|James A. Torrey||1931-1932|
|Paul S. Eaton||1933-1934|
|James A. Torrey||1935-1936|
|Daniel E. McLean||1937-1948|
|Robert J. Rafferty||1949-1950|
|Clarence S. Wilkinson||1951-1957|
|Thomas J. Wickers, Jr.||1958-1965|
|Carl V. Joslin||1966-1967|
|James A. Vitale||1968-1969|
|Herbert F. Grimes||1970-1973|
|James A. Vitale||1974-1977|
|Peter F. Fortunato||1978-1983|
|F. John Monahan||1984-1993|
|William F. Scanlon, Jr.||1994-2001|
|Thomas M. Crean||2002-2003|
|William F. Scanlon, Jr.||2004-Present|
* Terms were 1 year.