The Office of the City Solicitor is the City’s law department. The Office provides legal advice and representation to the City and its officials and is responsible for all legal matters involving the City. For example, the Office:
- Provides legal advice to the Mayor, the City Council, Department Heads, and the City’s agencies, boards, and commissions on matters relating to their official powers, duties and functions.
- Reviews and drafts ordinances and resolutions, and advises the City Council as to the form and sufficiency of all ordinances before their adoption.
- Renders official legal opinions.
- Attends City Council and Legal Affairs Subcommittee meetings.
- Prepares, reviews and/or approves all contracts, deeds, and legal instruments before they are signed on behalf of the City.
- Defends all lawsuits or other legal action filed against the City, and files such on the City’s behalf as needed, and also defends City officials and/or employees in lawsuits against them arising from any official action or the performance of official duties.
Please note that because the Office represents the City, it cannot provide legal advice to individual citizens.