The Confidential Administrative Assistant provides confidential administrative and secretarial duties in assisting the Chief of Police with daily operations and administration of the department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Receive, screen, and route incoming business calls.
- Review in-coming mail. Route to appropriate personnel and Units. Alert Chief to “time sensitive” correspondence.
- Prepare, without direction, written responses to defined classes of correspondence.
- Prepare other correspondence at direction of Chief.
- Perform inventory control and procurement of office supplies, forms, other office related supplies and equipment.
- Perform research for various departmental reports and grant applications.
- Receive written and phone inquiries regarding licenses and permits issued by the department. Independently provide direction to applicants regarding requirements and procedures for issuance of such licenses and permits.
- Use of the record maintenance and data retrieval features of a Police Information Computer System and city based information system.
- Copying, faxing, scanning, and filing.
- Process reimbursement requests for mileage, tolls, parking and other expenditures.
- Assist in development of annual budget submission by preparing pertinent accounting information.
- Receive and review for accuracy all accounts payable billing. Code billing to specific and appropriate budget accounts and process billing for payment.
- Receive, document, and process for deposit all payments for licenses, permits.
- Receive, document and process for payment all payments for restitution, court costs, and insurance reimbursements.
- Maintain department-level personnel files for approximately 85 employees.
- Coordinate tracking with City’s MUNIS system.
- Review daily work schedules to charge employees for use of vacation, personal, and sick leave. Maintain a current listing of each employee’s available leave.
- Assist individual employees in completing various personnel or payroll forms.
- Coordinate with other city departments regarding personnel issues.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must be well organized and accurate, able to work independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must make efficient use of time and resources available.
- Must demonstrate ability to prioritize tasks and to change priorities, as appropriate, to meet the needs of the job.
Establish and maintain effective working relations with elected City officials, department heads, supervisors, and employees; establish and maintain good working relations with other law enforcement agencies and personnel; effectively communicate with all citizens; exercise good judgment and make sound decisions; perform math calculations accurately; research data, operate standard office equipment including computers, copy machines, fax machines, etc.; develop and maintain filing system for various correspondence, records, etc.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions; communicate clearly and concisely both oral and written information. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in course of work. Maintain physical condition appropriate to perform assigned duties. Attend pertinent training classes as deemed appropriate.
Crosstrain with Records Bureau functions to be able to provide coverage as needed.
Work in a paramilitary organization which relies on policies and procedures to govern the behavior of officers and civilians. Must be able to work with confidential records and information and maintain the integrity of the confidentiality of those records.
High School diploma or equivalent; Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Public Administration or related field preferred. Two or more years of full-time experience in administrative/secretarial office setting; strong communication skills; ability to maintain professional demeanor in stressful situations; and knowledge and experience in the use of computer systems and software. Ability to maintain confidential information. A high level of confidentiality is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms, climb or balance or stoop.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.