Performs skilled electrical work at the Journeyman level.
Works under the direct supervision of Electrical Division Foreman or other employee of a higher grade who assigns duties and inspects work for conformance with instructions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Installs and repairs new and existing wires, conduits, apparatus, fixtures and other appliances in accordance with regulations and instructions.
- Participate in the installation, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground municipal alarm wiring, street boxes, traffic signals, call lights, fiber optic cables and allied facilities.
- Notify appropriate people, agencies of improper or unsafe situations.
- Make recommendations for improvements and enhancements to existing systems to Division Foreman and Commissioner of Public Services
- Troubleshoot circuits, motors, generators switches and electrical equipment.
- Works with other electricians including pump station operators maintaining equipment including pump stations.
- Test and certify systems such as emergency lighting, fire alarm, communications and any other electrical systems.
- Prepare and present reports as necessary (condition, performance, inventory, etc.).
- Work closely with employees of all divisions and coordinator materials and labor necessary to carry out duties.
- Aerial work via ladder, bucket truck, staging and other methods.
- Underground work in vaults, manholes, excavation, etc.
- Participates in snow removal operations
- Massachusetts Licensed Electrician, Journeyman at minimum.
- Experience related to ensuring the safety of co-workers.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate decision-making ability
- Knowledge of municipal fire alarm systems and their components and the ability to maintain and troubleshoot same.
- Knowledge of traffic signals and their component and the ability to troubleshoot same.
- International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Level 1Traffic Technician, Level 1, 100mA (Fire Alarm) certified or ability to obtain within 6 months of date of hire or at first offering by accrediting agency if not within first six months.
- Valid Mass Commercial drivers license Class B with air brake endorsement.
- Valid Class 1B hoisting license and Crane Operator Certification or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical effort generally required. Ability to lift or move items independently that weigh more than 50 pounds. Ability to perform aerial work and work in confined spaces.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb, talk, push, pull and hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, and stoop.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work environment is typically outdoors in all weather conditions and often at significant height above ground. Occasionally works in contact with sewage. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.