Prunes, removes and treats trees, shrubs and other plants; performs related work as required.
Works under the supervision of a Working Foreman and Forestry and Grounds Supervisor who reviews work for adherence to standards, procedures and instructions. Reviews the work of a few laborers for adherence to instructions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Adjusts ropes, rigging, blocks, cables and similar equipment preparatory to trimming and removing trees.
- Climbs trees to prune, remove, cable and guy weak branches.
- Treats diseased portions of trees and shrubs.
- Fertilizes and treats trees and shrubs.
- Mixes spray material and operates a spray gun and truck.
- Removes stumps.
- Keeps tools and equipment used in good condition.
- Operates equipment as required.
- Some knowledge of and ability to perform simple tree rigging, removing and trimming to avoid danger and damage.
- Some knowledge of arboricultural methods and practices.
- Ability to properly care for and use cutting tools, ropes, aerial lifts and other tree equipment.
- Good physical strength, health and agility to permit tree climbing work and heavy manual duties relating to tree care.
- Excellent physical condition.
- Some experience in arboriculture and adaptability to working at considerable heights and completion of a standard high school course or equivalent, supplemented by formal training or experience under skilled guidance in arboriculture and nursery work; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
- Possession of either Mass or International Arborist Certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical effort generally required. Ability to lift or move items weighing more than 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb and talk or hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, and stoop.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to high.