Primary duty of Animal Services Assistant is enforcement of City Ordinances Chapter 117 relating to Dog Regulations in city parks, playgrounds, beaches, and city-owned public access areas, as well as Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 140, Section 129 through 194 and Chapter 272 Section 77. As Assistant Animal Control Services Officer the purposes of this position is to provide Animal Control Services to the City of Beverly. Animal Control Services is geared for the protection of people, animals and property from disturbances or physical harm resulting from animal owner neglect, ensures areas designed to house animals are kept in humane and sanitary conditions, their failure to adhere to the requirements of the animal control ordinance and state laws governing domestic animals, other causes and the inadvertent actions of so-called wild animals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Responds to domestic and wild animal complaints or service requests. Patrols and investigates the control and care of dogs and other animals; determines if dogs are appropriately licensed, enforces leash law and takes corrective actions as required including citations and warnings
- File reports of animal enforcement activities, according to department procedure as necessary. This shall include assistance in maintaining the files and records of the Animal Services office. Such records and files include microchip records for rabies clinics, processing of quarantine notices, and appropriate data entries into computer systems.
- Answer Animal Services telephone, review all messages and maintain telephone logs with Animal Services Officer.
- Maintain contact with direct supervisor Animal Services Officer, and perform duties that may be reasonably assigned by the Animal Services Officer and/or the Chief of Police or his designee.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED and/or one to three months of related experience and/or training; or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training.
- Must be certified by the Animal Control Officers Association of Massachusetts (ACOAM) or must be able to complete the said training within two years of hiring as required by MGL
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must have and maintain a valid Massachusetts Drivers License.
- Must be able to obtain a Massachusetts Class A License to Carry and be willing to undergo departmental training.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to talk or hear.
The employee must lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.